Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Wales team vs France
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2011 02:01 PM by Rugby Nick.)
Wales team vs France
Welsh team vs France

Lee Byrne, Leigh Halfpenny, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, George North; James Hook, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Matthew Rees ©, Adam Jones, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Ryan Jones

Replacements

Richard Hibbard, John Yapp, Jonathan Thomas, Rob McCusker, Dwayne Peel, Stephen Jones, Morgan Stoddart

Adam and North in, happy with that

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2011, 02:16 PM
RE: Wales team vs France
(03-17-2011 02:00 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Adam and North in, happy with that

Yup, can't really argue with any of that.

Although our replacements bench now looks very threadbare, with no real "impact" options. Would like to see Hibbard & McCusker get a go, but really the rest is just Elastoplast.
03-17-2011, 02:19 PM
(03-17-2011 02:16 PM)Sourdust Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Yup, can't really argue with any of that.

Although our replacements bench now looks very threadbare, with no real "impact" options. Would like to see Hibbard & McCusker get a go, but really the rest is just Elastoplast.

Agreed, I'd drop JT for Powell. Ryan can cover the 2nd row and Powell can at least change things if needed. Not that I am a big Powell fan but it gives us more options

Wellies is far from elastoplast though

03-17-2011, 02:58 PM
(03-17-2011 02:19 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Wellies is far from elastoplast though

I don't mean it disparagingly; but the truth surely is that Jones will only get on tactically if we're defending a narrow lead late on? If we're winning well, keep going. If we're getting stuffed, "Wellies" isn't the man to get us scoring 20 quick points.

With you re: Powell, in all respects. At least he'd give France something to think about.
03-17-2011, 03:00 PM
(03-17-2011 02:58 PM)Sourdust Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I don't mean it disparagingly; but the truth surely is that Jones will only get on tactically if we're defending a narrow lead late on? If we're winning well, keep going. If we're getting stuffed, "Wellies" isn't the man to get us scoring 20 quick points.

With you re: Powell, in all respects. At least he'd give France something to think about.

Or if hook is having a 'mare, or if our centres are failing - hook gets moved there and wellies to 10

I think wellies gives a few options for him coming on

03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
(03-17-2011 03:00 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Or if hook is having a 'mare, or if our centres are failing - hook gets moved there and wellies to 10

I think wellies gives a few options for him coming on

Well I don't see Hook having a mare AND it still being close as very likely.

Good point about the centres, though. Hadn't considered that scenario...
03-17-2011, 05:12 PM
(03-17-2011 02:00 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Welsh team vs France

Lee Byrne, Leigh Halfpenny, Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, George North; James Hook, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Matthew Rees ©, Adam Jones, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Ryan Jones

Replacements

Richard Hibbard, John Yapp, Jonathan Thomas, Rob McCusker, Dwayne Peel, Stephen Jones, Morgan Stoddart

Adam and North in, happy with that

Agree about Adam & North - would have been my choice anyway. Cupboard must be bare if we have to keep using Yapp. I quite like the side, but worry about cover/impact, as you do. Still I'm looking forward to it!
Find all posts by this user
03-17-2011, 05:40 PM
(03-17-2011 05:12 PM)Roger Gadd Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Agree about Adam & North - would have been my choice anyway. Cupboard must be bare if we have to keep using Yapp. I quite like the side, but worry about cover/impact, as you do. Still I'm looking forward to it!

Ryan Bevington and Scott Andrews are two very fine young players who are 'almost' there - and of course there is Duncan Jones. The problem is that with the IRB still only keeping 7 on the bench the prop really needs to cover both sides of the scrum. Usually this would be Paul James' job who, fair play, makes a good fist of it. Yapp is really the only other player in Wales who does this (even to a poor standard, though not as poor as the other option - Cai Griffiths), so Yapp being there is understandable if undesirable.

The bench is a worry. JT seems rather pointless there, Ryan can cover 2nd row and McCusker can cover backrow. Either use a dedicated 2nd row or another prop imo - or Powell to really mix things up.

To be fair in the back 3 Stoddart seems to be last man standing, and hook covers everywhere else with Jones on for him

03-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree, there's not much pace on the bench. I'd like to see more youngsters making the match day 22 but it's too late to just drop them in now, there's only 3 games til the RWC isn't there ? I suspect Gatland will pay the price for trusting in the old guard for too long come October.
03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
(03-17-2011 06:11 PM)@buck_mitchell Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I agree, there's not much pace on the bench. I'd like to see more youngsters making the match day 22 but it's too late to just drop them in now, there's only 3 games til the RWC isn't there ? I suspect Gatland will pay the price for trusting in the old guard for too long come October.

What positions and 'old guard' do you consider to be the problem?

Props - front liners Adam and Gethin. PJ & Mitchell been starting, Yapp on bench. Scott Andrews and Ryan Bevington training
Hooker - Captain Rees starting - Hibbard benched. Bennett old head to come in, young turk injured (forget name), TRT and oompa also have experience
2nd row - Very young anyway, AWJ and Bradley. bunch of old/int heads around such as Gough, charteris and Ian Evans
Flankers - Lydiate and Warburton very young anyway. Turnbull been benching, as has JT. Nugget can be called up as and when required
No 8 - Ryan been starting, Powell before injury. JT covering. TobyF been out injured, Ben Morgan not WQ. Anyone else?

Scrum Half - Mike Phillips starting, Peel bench (1 Knoyle bench). Knoyle training.

Outside Half - Stephen and Hook sharing time (hook only what, 25?). Priestland training. Biggar has experience and can be called up
Centres - shared between two youngsters, J Davies and Roberts, with Hook when injury made him. Bunch of injuries including Shanks and Bishop mean options thin on the ground
Wing - Halfpenny (young), North (young), Shane (legend), Stoddart (first in a long time) all started.
Full back - Byrne and Hook (no real candidates, aside from maybe Priestland or trying halfpenny but has just come back from injury)

so I am intrigued - what youngsters NOT making the 22 would you like to see?

Players in starting XV for the French game over 30

Matthew Rees
Adam Jones
Ryan Jones
Lee Byrne

Players in the starting XV for the French game 25 or under

AWJ
Bradley
Lydiate
Warburton
Hook
North
Jamie Roberts
Jon Davies
Leigh Halfpenny

so nearly 2/3rds of the starting line up are 25 or under. I am very confused by what 'old guard' will be costing us, and what viable younger options there are to bring in