Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jamie Roberts Out of Italy Game
02-27-2012, 10:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 12:02 PM by Rugby Nick.)
Jamie Roberts Out of Italy Game
Quote:Wales attack coach Rob Howley has confirmed that centre Jamie Roberts will miss their Six Nations clash against Italy due to a knee injury.

The 25-year-old missed the second half of the victory over England on Saturday after a recurrence of a medial ligament injury and is not expected be fit in time for the game against the Azzurri at Millennium Stadium in a fortnight's time.

"We are hopeful that Jamie will be fit for our final game against France (on March 17)," Howley told the Guardian.

"He was clearly not right after taking a knock and he gave away two penalties for offside, which is not like him."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2012, 11:18 AM
RE: Jamie Roberts Our of Italy Game
Gatland has already stated that he WILL NOT experiment for the italian game, after the last time.
I'm wondering if he may just do that though with this injury setback.
Any guesses for who might come in?
Williams ahead of the pack, but Gatland was not happy with his selfishness before the try, and he is known to hold grudges.
Find all posts by this user
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Beck for me. Suits the style of play the best. Was also some rumours that Roberts would miss the Irish game, and the same rumours said Beck was in to start.

Not sure how true, but for my mind he would be the best replacement. Williams and Davies just too alike

02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Beck is similar in style but without the power of JR, however he does have more finesse.
Henson?
02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
(02-27-2012 11:48 AM)dynamicdave Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Beck is similar in style but without the power of JR, however he does have more finesse.
Henson?

I'd both love and fear the selection of Henson. the one advantage it would have is it is a shot to nothing...if it doesn't work then Hook can easily step back into the old davies/Hook combo for the French game

Would prefer to see how Beck does though

02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
RE: Jamie Roberts Out of Italy Game
Beck for me, but I wouldnt rule out moving JD2 to 12 and bringing Scotty Williams in at 13, though I'd prefer to have one centre involved who has actually passed the ball once in his professional career...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
02-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Beck is a good player, no doubt about it, and I hope he gets some decent time against Italy.

You can see the effect being with the Welsh team is having on most of the players being returned to their regions, watched the Ospreys, Blues and Scarlets this weekend as well and I was thoroughly impressed with the edge some of these players have got, just unfortunate that the rest of the players let their regions down a bit.
02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Id like to see Beck start. JD and Scott are crap passers but they also don't have the raw power to make up for Roberts loss.
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
(02-27-2012 11:48 AM)dynamicdave Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Beck is similar in style but without the power of JR, however he does have more finesse.
Henson?

A couple of bits from the report of Munster v Blues on Friday:

"The Welsh region, inspired by a revitalised Gavin Henson ..."

"This was followed by a brilliant break by Henson before he combined with Martyn Williams. This created the platform for wing Richard Mustoe to canter over in the corner with Parks adding the conversion."
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
He did ok. Was an odd situation, he seemed to line up too deep for Parks' brand of rugby - but then that does allow him a get out valve of a 2nd kicker deeper if needed.

When he actually got the ball, which was rare enough, he looked good. But not sure if his positional play was at fault re the alignment, or if that was a Blues tactic