Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Sean Holley expected to leave the Ospreys
02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Sean Holley expected to leave the Ospreys
But don't get your party hats out just yet, according to the BBC the most likely candidate to succeed him is… Steve Tandy…

Given that Brian McLaughlin has bafflingly been demoted by Ulster, I'm staggered that the Ospreys aren't at least contemplating bringing him in, he's done a fantastic job of bringing through young talent and mixing it with well-scouted overseas imports.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
RE: Sean Holley expected to leave the Ospreys
Steven Tandy to do a defensive coaching role, fine. It's about who they are bringing in as the top man, if anyone. I really hope they do

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
The story for those worried it's an early april fools

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

02-14-2012, 10:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 10:42 AM by Josh G.)
Well this is interesting – the BBC Sport story about this that I read at about 7 o'clock this morning had a paragraph in it that went something along the lines of "Bridgend coach Steve Tandy is expected to step up to replace Holley as head coach". But when I just had a look at it again, that paragraph has since been removed… wonder if they got ahead of themselves, or if someone in the Ospreys PR dept got them to remove it… the plot thickens…

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Steve Tandy has long been seen as an eventual top line coach, but then The Legend that was Filo Tiatia was also seen in that light. Look where he is now.
Holley and Hump will leave, this season or next, finances are very tight, AND THEY OUGHT TO BRING IN A QUALITY REPLACEMENT, but Blyth and Cuddy do appear to lack something in the talent assessment stakes when it comes to identifying quality coaching.
So off the wall, how does a coaching duo of Steve Tandy and Michael Hook as backs coach sound?
02-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Well this is interesting, the BBC article didn't say anything about when Holley was expected to leave, I think I just assumed he'd be off at the end of the season, but according to the Evening Post, not so…

Quote:Lawyers were last night negotiating a settlement on the remaining two-and-a-half years of his contract at the Liberty. It is understood Holley will depart as head coach with immediate effect.

That's pretty significant – I'm surprised given the limpet-like way he has clung to his post despite being fucking cobblers that Cuddy and co have been moved to turf him out without even letting him finish out the season.

That would probably also explain why Tandy is expected to step up – you'd imagine they'll give him the rest of the season and see how he does. Damian Karauna and Gruff Rees are also mentioned as potentially being involved in the new set-up… times they are a-changing folks… Anyone else a bit nervous?

02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
(02-14-2012 11:54 AM)Josh G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Well this is interesting, the BBC article didn't say anything about when Holley was expected to leave, I think I just assumed he'd be off at the end of the season, but according to the Evening Post, not so…

That's pretty significant – I'm surprised given the limpet-like way he has clung to his post despite being fucking cobblers that Cuddy and co have been moved to turf him out without even letting him finish out the season.

That would probably also explain why Tandy is expected to step up – you'd imagine they'll give him the rest of the season and see how he does. Damian Karauna and Gruff Rees are also mentioned as potentially being involved in the new set-up… times they are a-changing folks… Anyone else a bit nervous?

Yes. Especially about the WRU review, but anything involving Holley leaving has to be considered a good thing. Us fans have been desperate for this since we got rid of Lynn

02-14-2012, 01:22 PM
This is astounding news, if true.
Holley looked locked in and Blyth clearly thinks the world of him.
Something must have gone on behind the scenes, and I've heard nothing.
Is a major clearout on the cards?
The Post may just be bandying names around as they do, Karauna is a stat man at the O's and engaged with the Whites who are not pulling any daisies up. Rees did not have a happy time on his last stint but that may have been personality clashes...............that's why they've latched onto Tandy, he's not doing badly with Bridgend and the kids flourish under him in the LV=.
BUT think Filo, he was highly thought of until Jonno came now with another year under his belt in Japan, could he be the man to ride to the rescue.

Diddledum,diddledum,didledum. Highho Filo.

I will not renew next year for the first time since they started but this news will make many think again.
02-14-2012, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2012 01:36 PM by Rugby Nick.)
Have to wonder if a head coach has been lined up and is insisting on bringing in someone under him instead of Holley

Had a text suggesting Kinglsey and Ruddock have been sounded out, not really a 'source' though so strongly doubting how true it is, especially as Ruddock seems happy where he is and wouldnt imagine he fancies dealing with the WRU

02-14-2012, 01:37 PM
(02-14-2012 01:30 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Have to wonder if a head coach has been lined up and is insisting on bringing in someone under him instead of Holley

Had a text suggesting Kinglsey and Ruddock have been sounded out, not really a 'source' though so strongly doubting how true it is

Kingsley is available, Ruddock is not.
Kingsley would jump at the chance, and on the face of it would be a good choice, the caveat being that his last stint at Sale did end in tears.
Ruddock now lives in Ireland with his Irish wife and Irish sons, even the Ospreys could not prize him away from all that. Besides Kidney could be showing signs of vulnerability, Could Ruddock be the first man to take two country's to Grand Slams?