Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
England players attitude was exactly what we thought it was…
11-23-2011, 10:58 AM
England players attitude was exactly what we thought it was…
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has developed a feeling that certain senior players in the England team seemed more concerned about money, status, celebrity and pushing their 'brand' that actually playing rugby over the last few years, and it seems the leaked RPA report that canvassed 90% of the England squad at the WC backs a lot of it up…

Quote:“The environment was a bit too jokey and disrespectful. It was an immature squad who took the piss out of some players for working hard, talking to the coaches or having interests away from rugby.”

Quote:To hear one senior player in the changing room say straight after the quarter-final defeat ‘There’s £35k just gone down the toilet’ made me feel sick. Money shouldn’t even come into a player’s mind.”

Quote:“Too many players were chasing endorsements.”

Quote:“You sense for some players it was more about getting cash and caps than about getting better.”

Quote:“It was the senior guys pushing the boundaries, treating it like an old-school tour. It has to be treated more seriously.”

Quote:“As a group, we behaved like everyone should pander to our every need. At times we were mindless and reckless.”

I always sort've assumed that my feelings were coloured by the fact that it's very easy to hate an English player at the best of times, and I deep down thought they were probably very professional behind closed doors… But apparently not!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2011, 01:31 PM
RE: England players attitude was exactly what we thought it was…
What did they expect, having a manager who had previously been a playing colleague of the majority of the senior players? No respect for Johnson's supposed authority, not that he appeared very authoritarian. All far too chummy and self congratulatory with a distinct lack of a decent work ethic. Having a load of non English players who are obviously only there for the £ blatantly did not help matters either. Now they know what happens when you open the doors to the mercenary bastards, a hard lesson Wales learned back during the 'Grannygate' saga.
11-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Well gatlands way of dealing with things was very how shall we say all black like as in the players chose to stick to training most of the time and not having too much free time drinking and what not, The French team lost respect for their coach and the English team had virtually no respect or discipline of any kind.
11-24-2011, 08:53 PM
French team got to the final and in all reality should have won it. Woodward will be the first to say that during the 2003 win, the players did the talking during half time in the Welsh game. It was the players that wanted Catt brought on and the management went with them.

We may have played good rugby but didn't beat anyone ranked above us.
11-25-2011, 12:22 PM
New revelations today, that Haskell, Ashton and Hartley were pretty much told by the RFU to pay that housekeeper $NZ30,000 for her silence before the story about them harassing her came out to buy her silence.

The players refused as they believed the hadn't done anything wrong, but it makes the RFU look even worse, if that's possible…

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
11-25-2011, 06:14 PM
(11-23-2011 11:26 PM)welsh man Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Well gatlands way of dealing with things was very how shall we say all black like as in the players chose to stick to training most of the time and not having too much free time drinking and what not, The French team lost respect for their coach and the English team had virtually no respect or discipline of any kind.

Considering the stories about several prominent All Blacks on the piss causing havoc, even during the RWC, I don't think that you do Y Gat or the Bois justice by such a comparison, the levels of professionalism and commitment this squad aspired to and then achieved set new standards within the sport IMHO.

France's major balls up was appointing Lievremental's successor - Phillipe St Andre - before the RWC had even kicked off.

England were just a bunch of wankers.
11-26-2011, 02:37 AM
(11-24-2011 08:53 PM)Reggie68 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.French team got to the final and in all reality should have won it. Woodward will be the first to say that during the 2003 win, the players did the talking during half time in the Welsh game. It was the players that wanted Catt brought on and the management went with them.

We may have played good rugby but didn't beat anyone ranked above us.

by my reckoning we all know wales should have been in the final, the ref was half french and half bloody irish, his red card was correct but many other of the ref's decisions were more than just questionable. We may not have beaten anyone above us but we played the best rugby of the tournament and I firmly believe Wales was robbed of a final we deserved to be in. England and France's players attitude stank during the RWC and shamed themselves and their countries.
11-26-2011, 12:27 PM
(11-26-2011 02:37 AM)welsh man Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.by my reckoning we all know wales should have been in the final, the ref was half french and half bloody irish, his red card was correct but many other of the ref's decisions were more than just questionable. We may not have beaten anyone above us but we played the best rugby of the tournament and I firmly believe Wales was robbed of a final we deserved to be in. England and France's players attitude stank during the RWC and shamed themselves and their countries.

Was that the Miss Congeniality award?