Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wales Squad to play Australia
11-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Wales Squad to play Australia
The Guardian speculates Stephen Jones has played his last game for Wales, who knows he's certainly not been in International form in the last few games I've seen him play, Alex Cuthbert & Lewis Evans get call ups, the rest is here -

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2011, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 08:58 PM by Reggie68.)
RE: Wales Squad to play Australia
He's probably 3rd/4th choice now behind Priestland, Hook and maybe Biggar as they look towards 2015. He has been requested by the Baa-Baas for the game next weekend against OZ so maybe it's a chance to let him do that.

Ian Evans is back in.
Find all posts by this user
11-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Cuthbert from Cardiff and Evans from the Dragons deserve their call ups. Both been playing well.
11-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Most of the welsh players that have been asked to play for the Baa Baa's have had their invitations blocked by the WRU as it clashes with the training prep with the Oz game the week after. I like the team thats been picked its a strong team.
11-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Nice to see Ian Evans back in the frame - he's a phenomenally gifted player, and he's had rotten luck with injuries, hopefully this is the first step on him getting his career back on track.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
11-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Stephen Jones has been withdrawn from the Baa - baa's by the Scarlet's now, I only bought a ticket cos they named so many Welsh players in their starting 22 !
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Im glad so many welsh players were pulled out of the Baa Baa's team it means no bloody injuries for us.
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I feel sorry for SJ as it would have been his Baa-Baas debut and also the others who were pencilled in to play.

TBH I think the Baa-Baas have been one of the greatest sporting entities and ideals in any sport and it was a great honour to play for them but have now they have had their day. With professional leagues and the European Cups, teams can't afford to let their top players play an intense game at this point in the season. Doubly if they have to miss a league match to do so.

For Welsh regions who are not able to field Welsh squad players due to a crazy fixture arranged to pay for the WRU Christmas Party, you can't afford to let one of your most influential players go and play a high profile game.
11-21-2011, 06:55 PM
(11-21-2011 06:45 PM)Reggie68 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.I feel sorry for SJ as it would have been his Baa-Baas debut and also the others who were pencilled in to play.

TBH I think the Baa-Baas have been one of the greatest sporting entities and ideals in any sport and it was a great honour to play for them but have now they have had their day. With professional leagues and the European Cups, teams can't afford to let their top players play an intense game at this point in the season. Doubly if they have to miss a league match to do so.

For Welsh regions who are not able to field Welsh squad players due to a crazy fixture arranged to pay for the WRU Christmas Party, you can't afford to let one of your most influential players go and play a high profile game.

I agree with you that the BaaBaa's are an outdated relic of the shamateur era, same goes for the Lions tours. Unnecessary drains on the limited resources of the clubs.

Regarding the snipe at the WRU, they pay for a lot more in Wales than just three superclubs and one region dontchyaknow?

Given that they lost revenue raising AI's thanks to the RWC having the Aussie rematch makes financial sense for the Union.

Also the three superclubs and one region have all signed up to a participation agreement with the Union. Nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to accept the levels of remuneration due them from the Union.
11-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Wow, does this mean Dai Pickering has wandered onto the board!

I said that the Baa-Baas were an honour, not a relic and this time in the season, just after two European games is the wrong time to ask for the release of players from their club duties. I think it's also the wrong time to have an international. Especially when you are playing a game which is being marketed as revenge or payback. The last thing we want is for a couple of key players to get injuries or to aggrevate injuries they are already carrying which will effect their 6N. We also have 3 games against OZ in the summer which will be hard at the end of a long season.

I know the players have a maximum number of matches that they can play but International matches and European matches are higher impact than RaboDirect matches. Why make them play another hard match which is not needed. The WRU is in a better position financially than the IRFU and the SRU, they aren't having money spinners.

They did not lose that many games due to the RWC as they had the two warm-up games and the chance to get a RWC edition kit released with the extra marketing to make up some of the difference.