Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ben Morgan to Play for Wales?
03-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Ben Morgan to Play for Wales?
Ben Morgan hasn't decided whether to play for Wales or England at the moment. Hope he picks Wales (qualifies next year) as he seems to be a cracking ball carrier and has really done well taking over at 8 for the Turks

Also didn't know he played for the Blues U20's before signing for the Scarlets. Did they let him go or did the Turks pinch him?

Quote:Scarlets number eight Ben Morgan has yet to decide whether he wants to play for England or Wales, but says he would be "flattered" to play for either. Bristol-born Morgan, 21, could qualify for Wales in 2012 as he resides in Merthyr.
His gain-line breaks have been compared to Scarlets great Scott Quinnell.

"As far as [international rugby goes] I would be flattered to play for either nation, but for the time being I'm just focussing on regional rugby," he said.

At present Morgan says he is happy to continue developing at regional level after making his Scarlets debut at the start of the 2010/11 season.

"Getting exposure at this level develops you no end. There is no other way of doing it apart from playing. That's the way you make your mistakes and you learn how to play them.

"Playing regional level is the best you can get other than going international."
Morgan has made an impact deputising for the injured David Lyons, the former Australia number eight, who believes he is on course to play international rugby. Lyons has been impressed with his development and told BBC Sport in December
2010:

"Physically [Morgan's] as good as most people I've played with," said Lyons, He's showed some really good things and there's no doubt he has the ability to play international rugby.

"There are not many better ball carriers around Wales that I've seen. His raw power and energy are up there with some of the best and when he really harnesses that we can expect really big things from him."

Morgan has made two starts in the Heineken Cup and eight in the Magners League and is now looking forward to his first appearance at the Royal Dublin Showground against leinster on Friday night.

"I have not played there [RDS] myself, but it's like any you just block it out and get focussed," said Morgan.

"My aim is just to carry well, give us a bit of gain-line and just work on my defence.
"They are going to be a physical unit but they have got a great back-line to play with as well. They are going to be tough but we have got the players to out-muscle them as well."

Retired from international rugby on grounds of being too crap
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
RE: Ben Morgan to Play for Wales?
Can't decide if he is English or Welsh? If he had blood from both fair enough - but tbh if he doesnt know he wants to play for Wales now should we have him at all?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
(03-03-2011 03:37 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Can't decide if he is English or Welsh? If he had blood from both fair enough - but tbh if he doesnt know he wants to play for Wales now should we have him at all?

I vote no

Proper cheesy like
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Seeing as our number 8 options at the moment are a an ageing Ryan Jones with a lot of wear on the tyres and a man with less rugby intelligence than the Webb Ellis stress ball I have sitting in front of me, I'm going to take the pragmatists view and say bloody hell yes we want him.

I've been watching him carefully over the last few weeks since I realised he was Wales eligible and I've been very impressed – he's the quintessential modern 8: athletic, quick, physical, an awesome ball carrier, tough tackler and he does good work on the ground too.

From our point of view it does grate that someone can't decide if he wants to play for Wales or not, but look at it from his point of view. All professional rugby players want to play international rugby – it's the pinnacle of the sport, and as such plenty of players are pragmatic about it and will play for the country that offers them the best chance of it. Obviously for him that's Wales, but you can't blame him for having his head turned by England – he was born there and it's probably the country he grew up supporting after all, as distasteful as it might seem, I bear him no ill will over it.

To be honest, I reckon England are trying to do what the All Blacks have done for years – turn the head of a promising your player who's unlikely to ever really figure in your long-term plans early in their career, cap them in a meaningless game, and keep another country from making use of them. Let's face it, with England's back row depth he's unlikely to even get near the Saxons any time soon, let along the EPS, whereas he's an outside bet for going to the World Cup with us...
03-07-2011, 01:02 PM
(03-07-2011 11:55 AM)Josh G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.To be honest, I reckon England are trying to do what the All Blacks have done for years – turn the head of a promising your player who's unlikely to ever really figure in your long-term plans early in their career, cap them in a meaningless game, and keep another country from making use of them. Let's face it, with England's back row depth he's unlikely to even get near the Saxons any time soon, let along the EPS, whereas he's an outside bet for going to the World Cup with us...

Very outside bet as he doesnt 'become Welsh' until 2012. In fact one might suggest taking him would be either pointless or cheating... Wink

And it's the qualify on residency thing that really gets to me. one thing if a player has been here for decades etc, but quite another for someone who has been here a few years because of his job and now decides that playing for Wales is good for his career.

That said everyone else is at it...

03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
(03-07-2011 11:55 AM)Josh G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Seeing as our number 8 options at the moment are a an ageing Ryan Jones with a lot of wear on the tyres and a man with less rugby intelligence than the Webb Ellis stress ball I have sitting in front of me, I'm going to take the pragmatists view and say bloody hell yes we want him.

I've been watching him carefully over the last few weeks since I realised he was Wales eligible and I've been very impressed – he's the quintessential modern 8: athletic, quick, physical, an awesome ball carrier, tough tackler and he does good work on the ground too.

From our point of view it does grate that someone can't decide if he wants to play for Wales or not, but look at it from his point of view. All professional rugby players want to play international rugby – it's the pinnacle of the sport, and as such plenty of players are pragmatic about it and will play for the country that offers them the best chance of it. Obviously for him that's Wales, but you can't blame him for having his head turned by England – he was born there and it's probably the country he grew up supporting after all, as distasteful as it might seem, I bear him no ill will over it.

To be honest, I reckon England are trying to do what the All Blacks have done for years – turn the head of a promising your player who's unlikely to ever really figure in your long-term plans early in their career, cap them in a meaningless game, and keep another country from making use of them. Let's face it, with England's back row depth he's unlikely to even get near the Saxons any time soon, let along the EPS, whereas he's an outside bet for going to the World Cup with us...

Spot on (well aside from the RWC bit). You also missed out Toby F from your comments.

but we need athletic ball carrying 8's, and if he wants to be Welsh then get him in!

Retired from international rugby on grounds of being too crap
03-08-2011, 12:18 PM
(03-07-2011 01:02 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Very outside bet as he doesnt 'become Welsh' until 2012. In fact one might suggest taking him would be either pointless or cheating... Wink

Ah I though he was eligible in the summer for some reason, no idea where I got that from.

I have nothing against Toby F (beyond that dreadful excuse for a moustache that he just can't seem to shave off...) but I have the feeling that Morgan will be a better player – David Lyons has been mentoring him after all, and that's probably going to be better for his development than the scrubs bringing him on at the Dragons...
06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
He's not in the England Saxons squad. rumour is he turned it down

06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Appeared on Twitter yesterday too, which seems to be the essential rite of passage for up and coming Welsh internationals... Wink

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
(06-02-2011 03:22 PM)Josh G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Appeared on Twitter yesterday too, which seems to be the essential rite of passage for up and coming Welsh internationals... Wink

Now he just has to talk a better game than he plays...