Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Munster vs Ospreys - the Semi Final - Teams
05-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Munster vs Ospreys - the Semi Final - Teams
Munster team

Quote:The Munster side announced today for the Magners League semi-final shows nine changes, two of those positional, from the side selected for the game against Connacht last time out.
The positional changes sees young Danny Barnes wear the 13 shirt this time around as opposed to the 12 he wore against Connacht while with Donncha O'Callaghan restored to the second row Donnacha Ryan moves to the back row to the exclusion of Denis Leamy.
Although just six players retain their positions from that Connacht game, maybe more significantly, there's just one change in backs personnel and one change in the forward pack selected for tomorrow from the pack that eeked out victory in the Liberty Stadium three weeks ago. The upfront comes in the shape of skipper Paul O'Connell who was unavailable that night, Barnes the change in the backs.

Despite being runaway winners of the League proper, Munster could see all the hard work that has gone before end up with nothing to show but that's not how Damien Varley sees it. " We knew the format setting out. We'd set our sights initially on a home semi final so as to give ourselves the best possible chance to win the title. We've achieved that.

We'll take this as a single game. It's a stepping stone to winning a trophy.

" We're where we wanted to be, in with a shot at a final."

Munster: F Jones; D Howlett, D Barnes, L Mafi, K Earls; R O'Gara, C Murray; M Horan, D Varley, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell capt; D Ryan, D Wallace, J Coughlan. Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, S Archer, D Leamy, N Ronan, P Stringer, P Warwick, S Zebo.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2011, 12:30 PM
RE: Munster vs Ospreys - the Semi Final - Teams
15 Richard Fussell

14 Tommy Bowe

13 Andrew Bishop

12 James Hook

11 Nikki Walker

10 Dan Biggar

9 Rhys Webb

1 Paul James

2 Huw Bennett

3 Adam Jones

4 Ian Gough

5 Alun Wyn Jones (Capt)

6 Ryan Jones

7 Justin Tipuric

8 Jonathan Thomas

Replacements

16 Richard Hibbard

17 Ryan Bevington

18 Cai Griffiths

19 Jerry Collins

20 Tom Smith

21 Marty Holah

22 Tom Isaacs

23 Ashley Beck

The following players were not considered because of injury:

Jonathan Spratt - ACL

Tom Prydie - ACL

Craig Cross - Hamstring

Ben John - Wrist

Shane Williams - Knee

Craig Mitchell - Shoulder

Ben Thomas - Knee

Richard Kelly - Lower leg

Lee Byrne - Knee

Gareth Owen and Kristian Phillips are on Wales Sevens duty and are unavailable for selection

Director of Coaching, Scott Johnson, commented:

"It is all down to what happens on Saturday night, and the 80 minutes at Thomond Park. We've said all year that we wanted to defend our title, we've finished in the top four and now we're at the business end of the season.

"It's been an up and down time, a bit of a roller coaster, but every team has peaks and troughs over the course of a season, that's inevitable. It's always going to be the case. We've had some pretty good peaks, and over 22 games we've earned a place in the play-offs and we don't want to waste that hard work and effort now.

"We will have to lift our game from where it's been in recent weeks, but preparation hasn't been about kneejerk reactions. We've made sure that the guys know what they've got to do, know their roles, and have the confidence and belief to really enjoy the challenge.

"It's big games like that being involved in professional rugby is all about. It'll be a real test alright, but we know plenty about Munster just like they know plenty about us. I can see it being a real arm wrestle, but it's a really exciting prospect. Preparation has been good, but once they step onto the paddock it'll be all about which team handles the pressure best."

05-13-2011, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2011 01:44 PM by Ruger8.)
Hardly a inspiring call to arms from SJ

If the Ospreys do well then it almost poses as money questions a it answers... its a big game, why is it that they only look anywhere near the side they should be in such games. I cant see them doing that well, personally, i think the 8, 9 combinations is extremely poor. Someone told me the Season tickets have gone down by £15 plus you get a free jersey..... says it all really !

Even a broken clock is right twice a day !
Find all posts by this user
05-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Hopefully the O's have spent the last 2 weeks watching the video of 'Qunis getting stuck into Munster and playing with some pace. I really don't fancy Keith Earls (& I don't know that I''ve ever seen Barnes play) so maybe there's something for them to attack. I can't believe Munster prefer Earls to Zebo, he's a right handful. *Fingers crossed* I'm not overly optimistic though.
05-13-2011, 03:28 PM
A major tonking is on the cards here I'd say. The Ospreys have picked a team that says 'We can't really be bothered with this season, let's just get this over with' - for big games you pick your big game players, and SJ seems to have forgotten that not every young player is good enough to be dropped in at the deep end. If the Ospreys played Holah, Collins and Phillips in this game and lost, I think the Ospreys fans would respect SJ more, whereas his team selections of late seem to indicate that he's fucking lost it. The Ospreys decline starts here.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
05-13-2011, 04:59 PM
The team is a basic 'FUCK YOU' to the fans - looking at next season (no phillips, no collins) and some odd choices anyway (Bennett instead of Hibbard). Fans want to win now, but coaches wont swallow their ego cos they know their jobs are safe

Wankers, proper pissed off by this

05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
(05-13-2011 03:28 PM)Josh G Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.If the Ospreys played Holah, Collins and Phillips

I can understand Tipuric starting tbh, agree about the rest you have to say though

05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
The selection shows how comfortable the environment is there.... the reason the Ospreys don't achieve is because its such a comfortable environment.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day !
05-13-2011, 06:17 PM
At the risk of sounding like I'm defending the coaching staff (who haven't looked good enough at any stage since they took over) I can see why they've picked that pack, they've given the Munster forwards a torrid time every time they've played this season (still managed to bugger it up results wise granted). The thing that 'Quins did really well was get quick ball and use it really well if the O's just try and steamroller them through the pack Munster will give away plenty of penalties so ultimately the result will depend on the ref, if the ref likes the O's they might sneak a tense win, if he doesn't like the O's it's a really strange way for SJ to hand in his notice !!
05-13-2011, 06:40 PM
(05-13-2011 06:17 PM)@buck_mitchell Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.At the risk of sounding like I'm defending the coaching staff (who haven't looked good enough at any stage since they took over) I can see why they've picked that pack, they've given the Munster forwards a torrid time every time they've played this season (still managed to bugger it up results wise granted). The thing that 'Quins did really well was get quick ball and use it really well if the O's just try and steamroller them through the pack Munster will give away plenty of penalties so ultimately the result will depend on the ref, if the ref likes the O's they might sneak a tense win, if he doesn't like the O's it's a really strange way for SJ to hand in his notice !!

Nigel Owens, pro-Munster, anti-Ospreys. Blind eye to break down issues

Os are buggered