Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Ospreys revolving door isn't stopping any time soon...
04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
The Ospreys revolving door isn't stopping any time soon...
Scott Johnson rather worryingly tagged something on to his presser about Mike moving on this morning:

Quote:"I think it gets to a stage where within an organisation, anyone who doesn't want to be here will move on.
"We've kept the people we really wanted to keep and fought hard for, and there will be more announcements shortly. These are changing times and we've got to confront them. We've got to get back to what we've been known as and we've done a lot of great things.
"We want to represent our region in the way we're comfortable as and there's no coincidence we produce so many international young kids and we want to continue that. It's a balancing act and if that means us reinventing ourselves, we'll do so."

It sounds a helluva lot like he's talking about more exits, expected as they were, but it was quite a damning conference really, said that Mike had been trying to leave for 18 months, and they got fed up of him, and got fed up of expending all their time and energy on keeping a few players happy.

I'll be amazed if Mike gets on the field again after that, sounds like the Ospreys hierarchy want nothing more to do with him.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2011, 02:46 PM
RE: The Ospreys revolving door isn't stopping any time soon...
There's something not quite right behind the scene's in the Liberty I feel. Not sure what it is, but there seems to be a large divide between some of the players in my opinion. Just look at the mess they created in Tai Bach.
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Nobody really knows what happened in Taibach, beyond that they got absolutely battered and smashed the place up a bit - beyond that it's all "My mate right…" or "My sister's brother works next door and…" – the fact that the police didn't get involves says a lot. If they had any case to answer they wouldn't have hesitated to come down on them like a ton of bricks. Coppers love busting celebrities. It was bad, but I've heard of worse things happening in rugby club parties...

As for something not really being right, I think the problem is the four men leaving - it's been known for a while that Hooky, Mike, Byrne and Gav were all pretty tight and rubbed the rest of the squad up the wrong way a bit. Issues have obviously become more strained, and the decision was made in the case of Gav, Byrne and Mike, that they'd be better off without them.

It's interesting to see the way the Ospreys boys behave on Twitter - most of the squad who are on there - Shane, Cai, AWJ, Hibbard, Bowe etc, have lots of banter all the time - silly photos, shit like that, but I've never seen Hook, Byrne or Gav mentioned in a social sense by any of them... Even the ones that aren't on Twitter usually get mentioned in passing from time to time.
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Dave Bishop on Real Radio this week said something about Mike playing in France next year!! It was a throw away line, and I only half caught it, but I'm sure thats what he said.
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Tolouse is the widely reported likely destination.

If you've got 20 minutes spare, the Ospreys have put the whole Johnson PC on YouTube – really interesting, and lots of stuff they didn't put in the BBC article. He talks a lot about the changing financial realities of the game, and the failure of Gatland's law, the issue of Welsh player release, and most interestingly how the Ospreys have a policy that they'd rather let experienced players go a season too early than try to hang on to them and lose a young player coming through.

Cracking stuff.

04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Also, the part where he tears a reporter to shred for using the term 'Galacticos' - it's about 9 minutes in. Absolutely demolishes the fucker. Hilarious.
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
There was an interesting interview with the owner of Sale in the Telegraph:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Seems like the Ospreys are going through a similar sort of transition in the way they run the club. Started out with the big name signings, but then the financial reality kicks in and needs to change to something more sustainable.
Based on the way the Ospreys look to be letting go of some of the big names without replacing them with other big names, it seems like they are consolidating a bit.
04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
As much as I rate Rhys Webb's play at the moment above Phillips' Phillips surely has to at least make the O's bench ? Anyone/ thing is better than Nutbrown & Tom Isaacs doesn't look like he's ready to step up ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
(04-13-2011 05:48 PM)@buck_mitchell Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Tom Isaacs doesn't look like he's ready to step up ?

Mostly as they keep trying to use him as a 13

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
04-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Have they got any other 9's tho ? Even if they don't want to play Phillips for the rest of the season, they have to don't they ?