Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Nicky Robinson
04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Nicky Robinson
Wants to go to the world cup... Personally I hope Gatland sees sense and take him. Biggar has a big future, Priestland is looking quality, but NickyR is still comfortably better than the pair of them - and probably the form Welsh 10 imo

Nicky Robinson Wrote:"I obviously haven't forgotten about playing for Wales and two years [since playing for Wales] is a bit of a shock to me because it does kind of fly by," Robinson stated.

"But I suppose being outside of Wales doesn't help at times if you're trying to get back into the squad.

But it's not something that I've forgotten about. I've been watching a lot of the Welsh games, doing a bit of media work so I'm back watching a lot of Welsh rugby.

"I still hope that I can play for Wales again. Whether that's in the World Cup or not I don't know.

"But I still want to play international rugby and if I keep playing well for Gloucester then that gives me a better chance.

"My form before Christmas probably wasn't where I'd like it to have been, but there were other things going on in my life that probably affected that.

"I haven't retired, I don't think, by playing in England… or that it diminishes my chances of playing, personally.

"Other people might think that, but I still hope and dream that I can put that red jersey back on."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
RE: Nicky Robinson
Best 10 in the Prem at the moment really, I've not been Nicky's biggest fan over the years, particularly in a red shirt, but he's been superb since he went to Glaws, I'd have him as the third 10 in a heartbeat - he's peaking late like Jonesy.
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I do love Nicky but the one thing that he's never been able to show is consistency (usually he runs and passes well and kicks like a mule or vice versa), I hope they play him & Preistland in the "warm up games" cos I think every1 knows what Hook and Jones can do (although neither of them has exactly mastered consistency over recent games) and see who looks in the best form. I don't think they can take all 4 of them, can they (provided all the backs are fit) ?
04-08-2011, 06:42 PM
I think 'good nicky' and 'bad nicky' have been a thing of the past for a few years. These days he is on form or not, same as any other player (as opposed to managing to be both during any given game)

04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Don't know where I sit with 'Tricky-Nicky' TBH! At one time, every visit to Wales took me to CAP to see which Nicky would turn-up? Most often it was 'Flaky-Nicky' but, on the odd occasion, I saw the controlling, oft times brilliant in some aspects, Nicky.

I did see him at the start of the season and TBH, he played much as I remembered from 'previous' but I've also been told he has been Mr. Consistent for most of this season with Glos.

Is he a better option than what we may take down-under? I'd have to think that Gatland & Co. may have closed the door on the 10 position (barring injury?) for RWC (And, frankly, if not then why not!!)

I don't want to achieve immortality on the rugby field. I just want to gain immortality by not dying!!
Note: My Avatar shows 2 of my Grandkids!! Unlike Grim, I am NOT kinky!!
04-08-2011, 08:26 PM
(04-08-2011 08:16 PM)Wales4ever Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Is he a better option than what we may take down-under? I'd have to think that Gatland & Co. may have closed the door on the 10 position (barring injury?) for RWC (And, frankly, if not then why not!!)

Hook'll be going as a utility back so another 10 spot is open. I should imagine it will be Biggar vs Priestland with Priestland having advantage (in last squad and can also play 15, useful for the RWC squad). But Nicky could do it (and arguably should imo)

04-08-2011, 09:26 PM
(04-08-2011 08:26 PM)Rugby Nick Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Hook'll be going as a utility back so another 10 spot is open. I should imagine it will be Biggar vs Priestland with Priestland having advantage (in last squad and can also play 15, useful for the RWC squad). But Nicky could do it (and arguably should imo)

Aye, Hooky will certainly be general dogsbody 10 - 15 I'm sure, unless, ......... A certain Miss. Churchs' ex-partner (AKA The newest Great Redeemer-in-chief!) really does prove over the coming months, that he is once again a fixture at 12, and Hooky can be relied-on for 10, 12, 13, (ONLY!!!)
One thing I do recall from Hook/Henson partnerships pre/post 2008, was the constant mouth from Henson at region and International level that seemed to give Hooky a real shot of adrenalin inside him?
Nicky would be a good, 3rd. 10 to take to NZ I agree, however, has anyone even looked at him at Gloucs?? Howley should know the lad and what he is capable/incapable of doing but unless Gatland/Shaun/Howley have taken a good look, I honestly don't see how he could force his way into squad selection?
Another point too, is the fact we have NO 'ordinary' pool matches this RWC? Would it even be 'safe' I wonder, to pitch Nicky in against either of the PI sides or Saffers even??
One final point too? Nicky never looked safe at all with Spikey inside him at Cardiff? Would he be any better come RWC with Spike there? (I reckon, like it or not, Phillips is probably nailed-on at 9 with Richie Rees alternating?)

I don't want to achieve immortality on the rugby field. I just want to gain immortality by not dying!!
Note: My Avatar shows 2 of my Grandkids!! Unlike Grim, I am NOT kinky!!
04-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I always liked watching NR play; and his bro come to that. He always played with a smile on his face, and the Blues have missed him badly in my opinion. I haven't seen much of him since he left the Blues. It would probably be a big call to get him in the squad now, but I wouldn't argue if he was picked.
04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Can't really comment as I havn't seen him play at Glaws but even bad Nicky (of old) is at least as good as Presitland on a good day.

Tovey is right on the cusp of but needs the burden of place kicking taken away from him, it really effects his game when he misses one or two.

Do Kamakaze pilots wear helmets?
04-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Well these are the contenders for the 10 shirt - in no particular order:

Nicky Robinson
Dan Biggar
StephenJones
James Hook
Rhys Priestland
Jason Tovey
Ceri Sweeney (cough cough)

Have I left anyine out? Maybe Henson??

That has to be the strongest lineup of 10s in any country in the NH at least. There are at least four players there who I would be happy to see given the Welsh 10 shirt.