Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
When HTV and S4C had the rights
06-08-2015, 07:32 PM
When HTV and S4C had the rights
Hi everyone, Scotsman here, but I do follow Welsh Rugby, as well as Scottish Rugby.

Anyway between 1997 and 2001, HTV and S4C had the rights to Welsh Club Rugby. S4C had Y Clwb Rygbi, which still carries on today, albeit now produced by BBC Wales as opposed to Cwmni 10. HTV had The Front Row, again produced by Cwmni 10.

Living in Scotland, the only way we could see games from Wales during this period was on S4C on Sky Digital. So, I never got to experience the coverage from HTV.

What was HTV's coverage like? I know that most live games were on S4C, with just some cup games, and a couple of league matches live on HTV, otherwise just highlights.

Moreso, during the latter part of the 2000-1 season, I emailed BBC Wales to ask them if they were considering bidding again. They replied, saying that there was hope for them given that HTV were pulling out. So, why did HTV Wales decide to pull out and not bid again? I do know, from another hobby, TV pres and UK TV history, that HTV changed ownership during this period, to UNM group, and that may have had a bearing.

And lastly, how did HTV sign off its last edition of the front row, which I'm guessing would've been highlights of the 2001 Swalec Cup final, Neath (Castellnedd) v Newport (casnweydd).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply