Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wales v Italy
03-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Wales v Italy
Wales team to face Italy

Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon); George North (Northampton Saints), Jonathan Davies (ASM Clermont Auvergne), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Liam Williams (Scarlets); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).
Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

Apart from the enforced front row changes, an unchanged starting XV for Italy, with Owens, Gill and Andrews making the bench.

Rome is not necessarily the best place to go to with four inexperienced props, but at least it is as good a place as anywhere to get a look at them on the run in to the World Cup.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2015, 01:24 PM
RE: Wales v Italy
Personally I don't have a problem, all those props bar rhys gill play the Italians regularly, to me the biggest worry is COMPLACENCY.
Wales have to start the game to win ugly, much like the Ireland game, IF they then get some serious points on the board THEN they can look for a score.
Win the game then dec ide by how much.
03-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Absolutely. I was thinking about this earlier today, it can't be a case of throwing the ball around from the off, Italy are far too good for that. It's going to be a territory driven game plan I think.

Yes, the Italians may have a good driving lineout, but it won't make a difference if they are pinned back in their own half. Similarly their standard of handling was very poor this week, so pin them back, hope for scrums from their handling errors and let Webb look to link with North down the blind side.

Other than that, standard Warrenball for 50-60 mins ( 4+ penalties on the board by then) and hope that's when they start to seriously leak points...........Or we could give away a soft early try and flap for 70 mins!
03-19-2015, 09:14 AM
<<Or we could give away a soft early try and flap for 70 mins! >>

I was happily agreeing sith everything you said until that.

Typically Welsh.......we have very little trust in our abilities.

BTW you're completely wrong......Wales will walk it, big score and wait for the French to do thier job..........but will they?
03-19-2015, 07:05 PM
I also note that Parisse is definitely out of the game, so that will have an impact on the Italian pack's cohesion. Haimona is back at 10 though.
03-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Parrise is a quality player but only a fool would think that Italy are a "one trick pony" these days. As you say Haimona indicates that.
Tough game coming up, motivtion is win big and Wales win big, Why have the 6 Nations decided that only England or Ireland can win???
03-20-2015, 09:26 PM
Apparently the BBC don't even give Ireland much of a chance."as England have a superior points difference, it is in their hands."

4 points must count for a lot of you are English.