Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Our team
02-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Our team
Hello guys!

Yesterday, well where do i start? It was the definition of painful to watch that shambles. But i cannot help but feel that what yesterday did show was that we need to start breeding in our new talent through sooner rather than later. We looked like a tired, deflated side.
I would love to see this team given a run out at sometime in the next 18 months;
1) Rhodri Jones
2) Ken Owens
3) Samson Lee
4) Ian Evans
5) Alun Wyn-Jones
6) Dan Lydiate
7) Justin Tipuric
8) Taulupe Faletau
9) Gareth Davies
10) Dan Biggar
11) Jordan Williams
12) Jamie Roberts
13) Jonathan Davies
14) George North
15) Leigh Halfpenny
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 05:01 PM
RE: Our team
I'd like to see some more from Coombs. The guy has only ever been injury cover, but has done well every time.

Aaron Shingler is another back row option, who I'm sure Scott Johnson wished he had.

I'm also beginning to come around to John's way of thinking about Matthew Morgan, either as a 10 or as a winger in the Shane Williams mode where his lack of size wouldn't be such an issue.
02-09-2014, 05:27 PM
Couldn't agree more about Coombs and Morgan. I feel have a Morgan/Williams on one of the wings (North undroppable) would naturally bring this elusive 'plan B'. Putting in Williams/Morgan won't be losing anything in defence, as Cuthbert is not exactly solid. I feel having somebody like Gareth Davies at scrum half would allow for a conservative fly half in Biggar who can successfully kick his percentages, acting a Genia/Barnes partnership for Australia.
02-09-2014, 06:50 PM
No Matthew Morgan has got to be at 10, give him a scrum half who will provide fast and accurate ball, and leave the remainder of the backs intact, assuming of course that they demolish the advantage line.

As for those who ask the question ' is Matthew Morgan big enough for the modern game ' I ask another question. When was the last time Matthew Morgan was on the Ospreys injured list, or left the field during a game ?
02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
(02-09-2014 06:50 PM)JOHNTYWYN Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.No Matthew Morgan has got to be at 10, give him a scrum half who will provide fast and accurate ball, and leave the remainder of the backs intact, assuming of course that they demolish the advantage line.

As for those who ask the question ' is Matthew Morgan big enough for the modern game ' I ask another question. When was the last time Matthew Morgan was on the Ospreys injured list, or left the field during a game ?

He plays LV cup or Pro12 during international windows. From there to Six Nations v France is a big step up. If he gets a start for Wales now then Biggar might as well retire from internationals to be honest.
02-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Or he could adapt his game to try and win his place back !! There is no place for Swanns and Trotts in rugby union.
02-10-2014, 09:16 AM
Pound for pound Nipper is quite exceptional, I've seen him almost get his head taken off, get smashed by a big forward, but he always gets up for more.
Yes he plays by the seat of his pants,and all too often his team mates are not on the same page (in those instances I've thought the unthinkable, would he prosper more at the SCarlets?), but Jiffy is always saying "play what's in front of you..........look for the mismatch.........and that's what Nipper does.
As for the team above, I do think that Rhodri Jones is a tight head meaning that it's either him OR Samson, and for me Rhodri is the better bet simply because of his mobility, we are OK for loosie's.

A smile will make others smile, a frown will live alone.
02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Looking on the Wales Today site, I see that Nipper is out of contract at the end of the Season, and that both Leicester and Northampton are rumbling with interest. Should he join either of these clubs even as a bench man , and be a regular 23 starter, then I think he will soon be in the Welsh squad. I am beginning to feel that the Wales rugby team is becoming a little bit of 'old school tie ' culture.
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
If we're picking a team for the France game, then this would be mine:
Paul James
Hibbs
Rhodri Jones
Coombs
AWJ (captain)
Lydiate
Tipuric
Falatau
MP
Biggar
North
JD2
Bob
???
Halfpenny

Bench would have the starting props, Warburton, Matthew morgan & Hook.
The last two named can cover the whole back division between them.

Will Gatland do this............NO! In fact I do believe he'll go for the same starting lineup, he does worship continuity and he loves BIG.

02-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Steve Tandy head coach of the Ospreys gives a little insight to the region's thinking about some young players here.....http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14146.php#.UvjoICjbATM

Note the 19 players missing because of international callups, matchday squad comprises 23. Ulster, their opponents last Friday lost 9 to international callups.