Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Could Dragon Faletau give Wales much needed go forward
03-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Could Dragon Faletau give Wales much needed go forward
Only days after i included this extract from my latest blog on Newport Gwent Dragons Toby Faletau, Head Coach Darren Edwards calls for Gatland to include him in Wales World Cup plans

Couldn't argue with the guy.. Here are my thoughts on the player in question

"The 20 year old Tongan born back row player is a dynamic young rugby player making a big impact for his region. With South Sea Islander traits Toby is a warrior on the pitch who gives no quarter on the rugby field, a player who carries the ball well from the base of the scrum with a great set of hands to link with play is a dynamic option with the ability to change games. A youthful option with only one fear, the fear of losing a game of rugby is the kind of enthusiasm and determination Gatland needs reinstalled in the squad"

Read more on my solution for Wales in time for the Rugby World cup here:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.

Gloucester based rugby fan - Twitter: @Laner_45
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2011, 10:56 PM
RE: Could Dragon Faletau give Wales much needed go forward
I'd be tempted, but tbh more likely to fall foul of limited spaces. Ryan and JT can both do 6 AND 8 (debateable JT can do either tbh). Think McCusker can as well, as well as there being Powell, plus Warburton can do so. I suspect that with all those players above him covering his position this WC is a year or so too early for him

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. blog and forum
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Good enough, Old enough (thrown a sporting cliche at you there)

But Wales need a new direction, taking Jon Thomas is a negative, defensive, predictable move from a negative, defensive, predictable coaching set up

Wales have to change something... As i alerted to in the blog, If the same coaching and playing staff go to the RWC because it is the easy option Welsh rugby is in real danger

03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
(03-29-2011 11:03 PM)laner_45 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Good enough, Old enough (thrown a sporting cliche at you there)

But Wales need a new direction, taking Jon Thomas is a negative, defensive, predictable move from a negative, defensive, predictable coaching set up

Wales have to change something... As i alerted to in the blog, If the same coaching and playing staff go to the RWC because it is the easy option Welsh rugby is in real danger

I agree, I would happily drop JT in an instant. Whether that means taking TobyF is another matter - assuming 6 BR - Warburton, Turnbull, Ryan, Powell, Lydiate, McCusker. Who of those would you drop?

03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
#6 Powell - Lydiate
#7 Warburton - Turnbull
#8 Jones - Faletau

03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
(03-29-2011 11:33 PM)laner_45 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.#6 Powell - Lydiate
#7 Warburton - Turnbull
#8 Jones - Faletau

Very harsh on McCusker who, imo, is a top player in the making - and the fact that powell is crap at 6. Taking 2 full 8's in TobyF and Powell is too much of a luxury in a WC squad. It's one of those two imo

03-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Leave Powell at home to practice his golf then, Will be tough on who ever is left at home and you would say apart from experience Jones, Thomas and Powell have failed over the last 18 months to be effective as a unit or individually in a Wales shirt

In the blog i call for taking younger attacking players i.e Faletau and Mcusker and leaving Ryan Jones at home but i am certain that will not happen

03-29-2011, 11:44 PM
(03-29-2011 11:43 PM)laner_45 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Leave Powell at home to practice his golf then, Will be tough on who ever is left at home and you would say apart from experience Jones, Thomas and Powell have failed over the last 18 months to be effective as a unit or individually in a Wales shirt

In the blog i call for taking younger attacking players i.e Faletau and Mcusker and leaving Ryan Jones at home but i am certain that will not happen

Ryan was one of our best players this 6 nations, I would only mark Warburton ahead of him for consistency. Can not think of a single reason for leaving him

03-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Got our selves a problem then.. At least this is puting to rights my arguement about no competition for places in the Wales squad!

Come summer internationals we may have 8/9 players battling for 3 shirts which is a position we want to be in before a #RWC

03-29-2011, 11:51 PM
(03-29-2011 11:47 PM)laner_45 Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Got our selves a problem then.. At least this is puting to rights my arguement about no competition for places in the Wales squad!

Come summer internationals we may have 8/9 players battling for 3 shirts which is a position we want to be in before a #RWC

Backrow is just about the only position we have real competition though. Well that and North for one of the wings