Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Heineken hopes
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Heineken hopes
Almost there now, and the Rabo has given us a few pointers as to how our four regions will fare in Europe.
Here's my take team by team.
Cardiff Blues........All serious European winners need and have a strong front five, the Blues do not have that. What they have is a fine attack short of a mid field player since Laulala left, but as Phil Davies should know, without that set piece ability his team will struggle to dominate the better teams. Verdict......will do well to get out of the group, but unlikely to get that far.
Dragons.......relegated to the Amlin, this is a competition they should do well in, but with Toby lacking form and Lydiate injured, everything hinges on how the less experienced go. They seem to have replaced Tovey with ease and Prydie is doing very well as a straight swap for Brew besides being a decent kicker.To me they ought to get out of the group stage with some ease and should be aiming at least for a semi.
Ospreys........started off as though last season was all a dream, this being a nightmare, but through diligent hard work they have brought it back on line just about in time. No one doubts the set piece especially with Adam and Ryan back and Tipuric is on fire, but's it's still up in the air where the backs are. Too often they look clueless when in the opposition 22 and inclined to lose their shape. Will struggle to get out of their group but if they do they could just go well.
Scarlets........early season form bubble seems to have burst, and it;s no coincidence that in the last two games they've come up against two teams with good tight fives, and lost. Brilliant backs capable of tearing any team to shreds, but in those attritional games that are the Heineken that lack of forward domination will come back to haunt them. Easterby has gone some way to address that but I feel it's a season too soon. Wont get beyond the group stage.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 06:39 PM
RE: Heineken hopes
"Cardiff Blues........All serious European winners need and have a strong front five, the Blues do not have that. What they have is a fine attack short of a mid field player since Laulala left, but as Phil Davies should know, without that set piece ability his team will struggle to dominate the better teams. Verdict......will do well to get out of the group, but unlikely to get that far."

This is more than fair.

The season is going pretty much as expected. With good team spirit and a bit of luck with injuries mid-table in the Pro12 should be doable.

In the Heineken there is not a chance in hell that we will get out of the group. The games against Sale are the yardstick, if we could win those I would be more than happy with that.
10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Heineken hopes ..... none, albeit no more injuries please...
10-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks Shanks.......... in my post I've tried to be honest and fair to all, even the Scarlets, but I do fear that this season the Heineken looks to be a step too far.
However, if one region has a tiny bit of luck who knows what can happen?

My fingers are crossed.
10-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I don't see any of the regions doing much, but there's potential for a surprise.

The Ospreys seem to have found their form at last, and having Adam to come back will only strengthen what is still a very competitive pack. Backs-wise, there's a lot of work to be done to replace the Shane-shaped void. Beck needs to find some form again, and if he can do it fast, they could well surprise a few people, but it's a hard as nails group, but they might sneak into the Amlin if they win all their home games, which I actually think would be really helpful for the region as a whole.

Scarlets pack looks so iffy, and that's surprising to be honest, considering the money they've spent to strengthen the pack, and the promise shown by the likes of Samson Lee. They might cause some surprises - that backline is just too fucking good to not cause at least one upset, but if they squeak through to the QFs they'll get dicked on.

Blues are toilet, pack is a farce, and they've got no fly-halves for the next month or two - they're fucked.

Drags back row is like a fucking field hospital at the Somme, they've had a decent start to the season though, so who knows - the Amlin's a funny comp at the group stages, they might well sneak through…

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view., You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. - now, bugger off.
10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Jon Humphreys say that the Ospreys ( like all the regions) will only have the Welsh players for two training sessions before the crucial heineken games.
The WRU really screw up their hopes.
10-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Blues are toilet, pack is a farce, and they've got no fly-halves for the next month or two
--------------------------------------------------------

Have to say I was shocked at just how poor they were last Friday night against Ulster. They looked dis-interested at times and for the majority of the game unable to even compete the breakdown, let alone win it. Can't believe a pack with the Welsh captain (and coached by one Phil Davies) could look so woeful.

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to speak out and remove all doubt.
10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
(10-03-2012 10:04 PM)RMP Taff Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Blues are toilet, pack is a farce, and they've got no fly-halves for the next month or two
--------------------------------------------------------

Have to say I was shocked at just how poor they were last Friday night against Ulster. They looked dis-interested at times and for the majority of the game unable to even compete the breakdown, let alone win it. Can't believe a pack with the Welsh captain (and coached by one Phil Davies) could look so woeful.

The strategy makes sense though. There are a lot of players in the squad who will become top players in a couple of seasons. They are going to get playing time this season which should help their development.

It makes sense not to splash what little cash there is on a name player who might move them 1 or 2 places up the Pro12 and cut the margin of defeats in the Heineken at best.

Better to save the pennies and then when the current squad is mature, use the saved money to bring in a couple of really top guys that can help the home grown lads compete for trophies.

We just have to be patient and trust the current management. For the first time in a while I think they know what they are doing.
10-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Everyone knows the Blues are cash strapped (as is everyone else) but still, the way they performed would have shamed me to say I'd put in that performance as a man, never mind a rugby player.
Also, all this 'they'll be good players in a couple of seasons' mullarkey. They must be half decent players NOW, never mind a season or two. What happened to fronting up and laying down a marker?
If I was a professional rugby player, playing at home with the Wales captain I'd like to think I'd 'put a shift in' as a man, a player and as a professional sportsman.
Maybe that's why Big Phil got more than a few barbs from home supporters as they left the ground before the final whistle.
They (forwrads) didn't compete at all, they simply capitulated.

We (quite justifiably IMHO) expect far better.

Sometimes it's better to remain silent and be thought an idiot than to speak out and remove all doubt.
10-07-2012, 11:42 AM
(10-07-2012 03:14 AM)RMP Taff Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Everyone knows the Blues are cash strapped (as is everyone else) but still, the way they performed would have shamed me to say I'd put in that performance as a man, never mind a rugby player.
Also, all this 'they'll be good players in a couple of seasons' mullarkey. They must be half decent players NOW, never mind a season or two. What happened to fronting up and laying down a marker?
If I was a professional rugby player, playing at home with the Wales captain I'd like to think I'd 'put a shift in' as a man, a player and as a professional sportsman.
Maybe that's why Big Phil got more than a few barbs from home supporters as they left the ground before the final whistle.
They (forwrads) didn't compete at all, they simply capitulated.

We (quite justifiably IMHO) expect far better.

I am not going to try and defend the performance v Ulster, that was poor no question.