Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Desperately Unlucky? No, poor tactical play.
06-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Desperately Unlucky? No, poor tactical play.
Again it will come down to people saying it was unlucky, blaming the ref and all the rest but with 120 secs to go, you DO NOT kick the ball to the opposition.

If you are going to kick it, you make sure it goes dead, at least you can waste 20 secs getting set for a line-out. Ideally, you keep it in the forward pod for 6 phases, take 20 secs at the base of the ruck each time and then kick it off the park.

If the Aussies then steal the ball at the breakdown by unfair or fair means, at least you have done the right thing and made them work for it. The Aussies cannot win the game if they don't have the ball, don't make it easy.

It took the Aussies three or four plays to get into a position to win the game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2012, 01:04 PM
RE: Desperately Unlucky? No, poor tactical play.
We kick the ball to opposition all game, every game it's our raison d'etre ! I'm still yet to figure out why, I mean I love a good tackle as much as the next man/ Centre & whilst defending is immeasurably easier than attacking & we do have the best defence coach in the world the Aussies look far more at ease with ball in hand than they do trying stop us. Totally befuddled Huh
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Poor lineouts yet again.
Poor team selection, poor ball retention and poor kicking.
Was Warburton actually playing?
06-16-2012, 01:16 PM
It's not even attacking we shoudl be doing in that game situation. It's killing time. In the NFL you run a Running Back up at the line and he doesn't try to make any ground he just hits the deck to run the clock down. Munster do it from 5 minutes out, FFS.

Against France in the RWC they managed to hold onto the ball for longer than 120 secs when trying to get in place for a DG, so why not today? You don't want quick ball, just secure ball.
06-16-2012, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2012 01:27 PM by Reggie68.)
(06-16-2012 01:12 PM)dynamicdave Wrote: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view.Poor lineouts yet again.
Poor team selection, poor ball retention and poor kicking.
Was Warburton actually playing?

That's where you are wrong. Those things do not matter. We got into a position to win the game and should have by keeping the ball in the forwards. Priestland should never have seen the ball until time was up and then he could kick it off the park.

That comes down to bad coaching. The team should have it drilled into them, in that game situation the ball goes up the jumper and stays at the base of a ruck until the ref says "use it".

Then it stays at the base of the next one until the ref says "use it". If the Aussies steal it by foul means then you can say you were unlucky.

Otherwise you are just not good enough. The Aussies would not have kicked in the same position, neither would the ABs, SA or England. They are all ranked above us.
06-16-2012, 01:29 PM
I sat there at the end of the game and just could not get my head around the tatics with 78mins on the clock!! someone needed get hold of the ball and slow things down, keep it in the forwards as we did agaisnt England 6 nations,maybe taking M.Phillips off was a mistake! Our constant kicking out of hand is infuriating and in accurate the Aussies had that covered all game, where was plan B? Got to make some changes for 3rd Test or its gonna be a whitewash.Feel sorry for Halfpenny he was immense.
06-16-2012, 01:44 PM
REg are you saying that besides poor tactics those things didn't matter?

If we had been accurate in those things I mention then surely playing down the clock would have hardly been needed.

I asked where Warbs was because to me he was annonymous, and after 20 minutes he looked out on his feet.
06-16-2012, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2012 02:38 PM by Reggie68.)
Exactly, that didn't matter...

What we did in the other 78 minutes was of no consequence, we were in a position to win. In the Aussie half, 120 secs to go and ahead on the board. Because we didn't have the awareness or coaching to play the time killing game, we lost.

We may play fantastically well against another team, do everything right and be in the same position with two minutes to go and lose. Does it matter how we played during the other 78 mins. The result is the same.

If Warbs was out on his feet after 20 minutes, that comes down to Howley and his appreciation of the game. Maybe he asked and was told "Computer says No".
06-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Yet again Priestland kicked far too often, and pointlessly!!!!!! Its as if he doesnt know how to pass.
06-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Yet again Priestland kicked far too often, and pointlessly!!!!!! Its as if he doesnt know how to pass.